Basic Nutrition & Health
This module contains basic nutrition information you will need.
The module does NOT cover everything about nutrition. As aNutrition Assistant you may want to learn more. For more information onnutrition you may want to take a college course, refer to websites Eat Rightor My Plate and review a college textbook on basic nutrition. Askyour agency’s dietitian forsuggestions.
After completing this module the candidate will be able to:
· Describe the role of nutrition in health and wellbeing
· Describe the major functions of food in the body
· Describe how the body digests foods
· List the six major nutrient groups and common food sources of each
· List the five WIC―targeted nutrients and
o their roles in the body, good food sources of each, The WIC foods which provide them.
· Describe the six food groups and assign foods tothem
· Use My Plate