Disability Awareness ( Working with People with Disabilities )
People with disabilities represent a significant and largely underutilized resource for businesses. Many disabled persons are underemployed or unemployed. As a result of advocates for diversity, as well as a shrinking labor pool, employers are taking a serious look at hiring and retaining people with disabilities. This two-day workshop will give supervisors, managers, and human resource consultants tools and tips for creating a diverse workplace.
What Will Students Learn?
• Prepare to welcome people with disabilities into your workplace
• Interact with people with disabilities
• Identify and overcome barriers in the workplace
• Use respectful, appropriate, acceptable language in any circumstance
• Understand what your company can do during hiring and interviewing
• Understand what job accommodation is and how it applies in your workplace
What Topics are Covered?
• Defining terms
• Misconceptions and realities
• Dissecting labels
• The cornerstones of diversity
• Encouraging diversity by hiring
• Using the STOP technique
• Communication essentials
• Communication styles and critical conversations
• How do we make it happen?